Patrick Swayze is dead. Damn shame and way too young. The guy rocked in a ton of movie roles and he had a lot left in him for older parts where, like many others, Hollywood would finally recognize his greatness. Imagine a Road House remake/sequel in 20 years in which he plays the Wade Garrett/Sam Elliott character. That's right Mijo, you know what I am talking about. Swayze was supposed to die a couple years ago. Instead he gave a big FU to cancer and kept on acting. As Bodhi sagely said in Point Break "If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love." Could not have said it better.
So, as we can only hope that Swayze is working the night shift at the Double Duece in the sky, here is a short countdown of great Swayze moments.
6. Swayze Defeats Communism. Young bad ass Swayze leads a bunch of high school kids against every country on earth as they team up and invade the US. The movie is Red Dawn. It is the 1st PG13 movie and I am 8 years old when influenced by it. With Swayze gone, I know I now feel less safe.
5. Nobody puts Baby in the Corner – Apparently a crowd pleaser. Yeah, this is supposed to be a tough guy tribute - Sentimental time between the guys that only includes man hugs with the mandatory simultaneious slap on the back. Well, you need something for the ladies too. Just don’t tell Brian Urlacher I included Dirty Dancing in this post. It may affect his opinion of me.
4. Ok, enough of that. Lets set the tone again. When Swayze wants to kick ass, he does it. A great rule in life "Take the biggest guy in the world, shatter his knee and he'll drop like a stone."
Right boot -
3. More of the good stuff. Perhaps one of my favorite speech to the troops scenes in the "movies for guys who like movies genre." Also from Road House...
Dalton (Swayze) - Be Nice, until I its time to not be nice.
Shirtless DBag - What if someone calls my mama a *****.
Good question Steve. Swayze has all the answers.
2. Bodhi in Point Break. Probably his most famous role. How much wisdom can this guy pump out in one movie:
This is the longest scene from Point Break I can find online. The scene is in Spanish, but if you made it this far in the post, you don’t need me to translate a single word. Vaya Con Dios!
During my search I also came across this Point Break/Brokeback Mountain mashup. Sure these mashups are played out. And don’t give me that too soon crap either. These guys did a good job on the editing on this one and I think Swayze would have found this funny.
1. And while I know no cage can hold him and this isnt even a clip from one of his movies, I would like to think that as he paddled out to ride that last wave at Bells Beach he found the ultimate rush….
RIP Patrick Swayze to “the best damn cooler in the business.”